LEARN ABOUT THE DIFFERENT ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE THERAPIES, THE HOLISTIC SIDE OF MEDICINE.
Articles that may interest you
WHAT IS ALTERNATIVE THERAPY?
Alternative therapy is generally used to describe any medical treatment or intervention that has not been scientifically documented or identified as safe or effective for a specific condition or disease.
Alternative therapy encompasses various disciplines ranging from diet and exercise to mental disorders and lifestyle changes.
Some examples are acupuncture, guided imagery, yoga, hypnosis, chiropractic, aromatherapy, relaxation, herbal remedies, massage, and many others.
BENEFITS OF PRACTICING ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES
At least the following benefits have been scientifically proven to be true.
- They do not use any chemical or artificial medicine, since generally, the treatments are based on herbs and other plants. So they are entirely natural.
- Contrary to what happens with some traditional drugs, the risk of suffering a side effect practising an alternative therapy is very low.
- They reduce stress, anxiety and depression and help to alleviate the practitioner’s mental health.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ALTERNATIVE AND COMPLEMENTARY MEDICINE
Although it is customary to confuse the terms and treat them as synonyms, the two fundamentally differ. Complementary medicine accompanies traditional medicine treatments, while alternative therapies replace them.
There are complementary therapies that do not present risk, that health benefits have been demonstrated and recommended and even practiced by traditional doctors and offered in health centers.
CLASSIFICATION OF ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES
COMPREHENSIVE OR COMPLETE SYSTEMS
BODY-BASED MANIPULATION METHODS
MIND AND BODY THERAPIES
Approaching the mind and body includes practices that focus on the interaction between mind, body, behavior, and mind control techniques that affect physical functions and promote health. If we do not balance the psychological and functional disorder, the disease will become organic over time by somatizing unconscious psychic conflicts.
These include yoga, meditation, prayer, mental healing, and creative therapies related to art, music, or dance
SOME RECOMMENDATIONS BEFORE TRYING AN ALTERNATIVE THERAPY.
It should be clarified that none of the therapies is approved as scientifically practical, and many doctors and professionals discourage their use. That is why it is best to speak with your trusted doctor before taking the risk of severe consequences.
- Always investigate the specialist or health center where the therapy will be performed. Make sure they are professional and do not use fraudulent methods.
- Just because a herb or medicine is natural does not automatically mean that it is safe. Ask a doctor before consuming any type of substance, lest it is harmful to health.
- Stay away from anyone who claims miracle treatments or vehemently rejects traditional medicine.
Every day, more people seek to improve their health with an alternative therapy, so much so that almost 38% of Americans say they have ever practiced one. There are also more and more traditional doctors who accept to use some technique as a complement to conventional medicine.
If you want more information about alternative medicine, be sure to read the following articles: Meditation: what it is and how it can relieve the body. Holistic medicine, an excellent complement to traditional medicine. Massages, their types, and their importance in our health.